Tips for a sugar free life
Making the transition to a life without sugar can be daunting! These tips are here to help make it a little easier.
- Avoid all products with sugar
- BEWARE: sugar is in many prepared/packaged foods and has many names
- Familiarize yourself with different names that spell S-U-G-A-R (see below)
buy food without labels...
- Foods that do not NEED labels are safe!
- These include whole foods like fresh fruits and veggies
Learn to cook at home...
- This is the best way to control what you eat (and what you don’t!)
- Plan meals ahead of time to avoid the “there’s nothing to eat so let’s grab take-out” trap.
When eating out ask for modified meals...
- Tell your server you are avoiding sugar. Most restaurants are very accommodating to dietary needs, and they may even have some suggestions for you!
- Ask for salad dressings to be served on the side OR replace them with olive oil and lemon or balsamic vinegar
- Skip the breaded and deep fried offerings
- Say no to sauces and dips (tasty yes, but loaded with sugar… including ketchup!)
- Create your own meal. Ask for a piece of protein (chicken, fish or steak) served with vegetables and/or a salad (dressing on the side!)
Make and bring your own snacks to work...
- Good choices: nuts, nut butter, jerky, hard boiled eggs, fruit, leftovers
- Have good food options handy to help you say “no” to workplace treats and keep you from reaching for junk
- Avoid baked goods and treat
Serves 2 | Prep 5 minutes | Cook 10 minutes
- 5 eggs, from pasture-raised hens
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp grass-fed butter
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 red, orange, or green bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups spinach
- salt and pepper to tase
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 medium avocado, sliced
- Melt butter in a sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add onions and sauté until translucent - about 2 minutes
- Add zucchini, bell pepper, salt, pepper, and basil. Stir occasionally and cook for about 5 minutes, until vegetables are soft.
- Add spinach and let wilt.
- Crack eggs in a medium-sized bowl and whisk. Pour eggs into sauté pan and stir into vegetables. Cook eggs through while scrambling all ingredients together.
- Divide scramble up on 2 plates and serve each with avocado slices.
CHICKEN BLT WRAP
Serves 2 | Prep 5 minutes | Cook 10 minutes
- 2 cups cooked chicken (leftovers works great), diced
- 4 slices sugar-free bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 celery stick, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup “Best Mayo Ever” (recipe follows)
- 1 Tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce or 1 head Bibb lettuce, leaves washed and separated
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mayo, dill, salt, and pepper.
- Add the chicken, bacon, celery and tomatoes. Stir to combine well.
- Divide the chicken salad into the lettuce leaves. Wrap them up like soft tacos and serve.
BISON CHEESE BURGER
Serves 2 | Prep 3 minutes | Cook 12-15 minutes
- 1 lb ground bison
- sea salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, unrefined
- 2 oz Havarti cheese, shredded
- 2 large lettuce leaves
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Divide meat into 2 portions (8 oz each), and form each into patties. Sprinkle both sides with sea salt and pepper.
- Heat a cast iron pan over medium to medium-high heat. Add coconut oil until melted.
- Add meat patties to the cast iron. Cook about half-way through - about 5-6 minutes (depending on patty thickness)
- Flip patties and cook for 2 minutes, then top each patty with 1 oz grated Havarti. Cook 2 minutes longer.
- Put cast iron in hot oven to finish cooking through and so that the cheese finishes melting - about 2-3 more minutes.
- Put a lettuce leaf on each plate and top with a burger.
- Serve with a probiotic pickle (I like Bubbies brand)
BEST MAYO EVER
The best part of this mayo (other than the deliciousness!) is the fact that it takes no time to prepare - all you need is an emersion blender! You’ll want to double this recipe and make it weekly - it goes great with anything!
Yield 1 1/2 cups | Prep 5 minutes
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp dijon mustard (sugar-free)
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp filtered water
- 3/4 cup avocado oil
- sea salt to taste (1/8-1/4 tsp)
- Put all ingredients in the bottom of your emersion blender container, adding the oil last.
- Place the blade of your emersion blender into the bottom of the container then turn it on. While blending, tip the blade so that it is at a bit of an angle and very slowly lift the blade up through the ingredients. Watch them emulsify before your eyes!
- Transfer the mayo to a small jar or container, cover tightly and let it sit in the fridge for at least an hour. (The longer it sits, the more time the flavours have to meld.)
SIMPLE SALAD with ‘RANCH’ DRESSING
Serves 2 | Prep 10 minutes
- 2 cups mixed salad greens (your choice)
- 1 sweet bell pepper, cored and sliced or diced
- 1/2 English cucumber, sliced
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- 4 Tbsp “Best Ever Mayo”
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried dill
- Clean and prep the vegetables.
- Divide lettuce among 2 plates. Top each with half of the vegetables.
- In a small bowl, mix mayo, garlic and dill together. Spoon dressing on top of each salad.
Serves 2 | Prep 5 minutes | Cook 5-8 minutes
- 2 cups fresh broccoli, washed and cut into florets
- sea salt
- 1 Tbsp grass-fed butter
- Place broccoli florets in a sauce pan with about 1/2 inch of water on the bottom. Sprinkle with a bit of salt.
- Heat on medium about 5 minutes. Lightly steam until the broccoli becomes bright green and is still slightly firm or al-dente. If you like them softer, feel free to steam them a bit longer.
- Drain and divide broccoli into 2 servings. Top each with 1/2 tablespoon of butter and sprinkle with a bit of salt. The hot broccoli will melt the butter and add extra flavour.
GUAC ON A STICK
Serves 4 | Prep 10 minutes
- 1 large ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- 4 Tbsp MCT oil or avocado oil
- 1 Tbsp raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 lime, grated zest plus juice
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 2 large sweet bell peppers (red, orange, or yellow)
- Place all ingredients (except cilantro) in a medium bowl, and mash with a fork until you reach your desired consistency.
- Core the peppers and discard seeds. Slice into long pieces.
- Use the pepper sticks to scoop up the guacamole and enjoy!
Serves 1 | Prep 5 minutes
- 1 English cucumber
- 2 oz Brie
- Slice the cucumber into 12 rounds, about 1/4 inch thick.
- Place a small piece of brie on 6 the cucumber slices.
- Place the remaining 6 cucumber slices on top of each, creating bite-sized “sandwiches”, and enjoy.
ALMOND BUTTER CELERY BOATS
Serves 1 | Prep 5 minutes
- 4 celery sticks, cleaned and peeled
- 1/4 cup raw almond butter (the only ingredients should be almonds and salt)
- Clean and peel celery sticks, using a vegetable peeler - this removes any “strings” of celery that can be annoying when eating it raw
- Divide the almond butter among the celery sticks. Using a butter knife to spread it around, and enjoy
Beat brain fog, and all of the other negative impacts that sugar has on our brains and bodies and join my 14 day Sugar Detox Program to Jumpstart your new Sugar-free life!