These nutritious cookies are a great breakfast alternative for those busy mornings or just to enjoy as a good snack!
Makes 12-15 large cookies | Prep 10 Minutes | Cook 15 Minutes
The collagen and nut butter provide a punch of protein, and they are not too sweet. Of course, if you like them sweeter, feel free to add a bit more honey.
These can also easily be made Vegan by subbing the honey for agave.
Alternatively, you can use 3 eggs instead of the flaxseeds and water if you don’t have any flax on hand.
Either way, they will be a big hit and you will want to double (or quadruple) the recipe, as they freeze and travel really well.
- 1 medium ripe banana (or 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce)
- 2 Flax eggs (2 heaping Tbsp ground flaxseed + 5 Tbsp water)
- 1/2 Cup nut butter(I use unsweetened almond butter)
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract, alcohol-free
- 3 Tbsp raw organic honey (or agave nectar for vegan)
- 2 Tbsp collagen powder
- pinch sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 Cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1/2 Cup raw unsweetened coconut (medium)
- 1/2 Cup almond flour
- 1/2 Cup raw nuts (slivered almonds or nuts of your choice)
- 1/2 Cup dried craisins (or cranberries or other dried fruit) OR chocolate chips (non-dairy for vegan)
- Mixing bowl & spoon
- Cookie sheet
- Parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 160C or 325F
- In a large bowl combine flax seeds and water and let rest for 5 minutes to achieve "eggy" texture
- Mash the banana (or apple sauce) into the flax mixture until well combined, then add nut butter, coconut oil, honey, vanilla, collagen, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Stir well
- Add oats, coconut, almond flour, nuts, and dried fruit. Mix well
- Drop cookies by large spoonfuls on a parchment-lined baking sheet - about 3-4 tablespoons per cookie. Wet hands with warm water and shape/flatten cookies to an even thickness (I like them nice and thick to maintain the chewy factor!)
- Bake for 13-15 minutes or until the cookies are slightly golden brown
- Let rest on baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. After completely cooled, store in an air-tight container. Refrigerate or freeze for even longer storage time. These are also delicious eaten right out of the freezer!
Contact me or call to book an appointment to see how I can help you come off the wheat-wagon and regain your health.